Small steps, undertaken collectively, can have a great impact on the environment. So while we know we won’t make front-page news by drinking from biodegradable cups, using energy efficient light bulbs, and recycling (just about everything), we recognize that we can make a difference. With that goal, we launched CF Goes Green in 2007.
Program components include:
- a green procurement policy;
- firm purchase of Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) to offset our energy use;
- a comprehensive recycling program;
- and an energy plan (in development) that will help us continue to reduce our consumption of electricity.
We’ve taken the ABA-EPA Law Office Climate Challenge
by joining three out of three voluntary partnerships with the Environmental Protection Agency (WasteWise
, Green Power Partnership
, and ENERGY STAR
). We’re not thrilled that our efforts place us in the minority of law firms. But we do enjoy the savings we’ve realized by reducing energy consumption, going paperless, recycling electronics, and buying green office supplies.
The impact extends beyond our bottom line. For example, by purchasing RECs in an amount equal to our firm’s energy consumption, we achieve the equivalent of any one of the following every year:
- preventing more than 5,237,322 pounds of carbon dioxide, a key greenhouse gas, from entering the atmosphere.
- removing 435 cars from the road.
- converting 314 average U.S. households to renewable energy.
What if each of the thousands of law firms in the United States joined in the effort? Do the math.