Mr. Weiss’s experience in the telecommunications litigation area includes:
- Prosecuting claims of behalf of several major wireless telephone services providers in litigation throughout the United States involving claims to combat retail subsidy fraud; intellectual property violations and other fraud prevention matters.
- In the course of his work in the telecommunications fields, Mr. Weiss has been at the forefront in extending new methods of service of U.S. legal process to defendants. His efforts in this area have resulted in six separate published federal court opinions.
- Representing leading VOIP service provider in prosecuting claims for FDUPTA and Lanham Act violations and defending consumer class action.
- Representing the nation’s leading prepaid wireless telephone service provider in multi-state litigation involving telephone service charges and taxes.
- Representing several national internet service providers in contesting “John Doe” discovery seeking protected customer information.
Aaron Weiss’s experience in the class action area includes:
- Representing five different banks in multiple cases pending in MDL 2036 (In re Checking Account Overdraft Litigation) pending in the Southern District of Florida.
- Multiple class action cases relating to alleged violations of the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Defending leading vacation industry company in consumer class action.
- Defending consumer products supplier in product liability class actions pending in South Florida.
- Representing several companies in “M & A” strike suit class action cases in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- In connection with his class action work, Mr. Weiss is presently serving as Co-Chair for ABA Commercial & Business Litigation Committee Class Action Subcommittee.
Mr. Weiss’s general litigation experience includes:
- Serving as the primary outside litigation counsel for a publicly traded company in a range of matters including contract claims, professional liability claims and real estate disputes.
- Representing lending institutions in litigation involving enforcement of commercial loan documents. In connection with this work, Mr. Weiss has worked closely with the FDIC in the revival of the D’Oench Dhume doctrine, which is asserted to bar claims against the successors to failed banking institutions. Mr. Weiss has participated in hearings relating to the D’Oench Dhume throughout the state of Florida and several of his motions have been cited by the FDIC as models for applying this area of the law.
- Assisting Fortune 500 company with on-site internal investigation arising from SEC inquiry.
- Representing industrial manufacturers in dozens of wrongful death product liability claims in the New York courts.
- Defending former directors and officers of national airline in securities litigation.
- Representing United States marine paint manufacturer and related foreign entity in defending against civil antitrust claims brought in Florida at both the trial and appellate level in state and federal court.
Mr. Weiss’s Representative Cases:
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Bitton, ---- F.R.D. ---, 2012 WL 123918 (S.D. Fla. 2012)
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Unlimited PCS Inc., ---- F.Supp.2d ----. 2-12 W: 169762 (S.D. Fla 2012).
- Marshall v. Regions Bank, Case No.: 11-civ-24302, 2012 WL 28245 (S.D. Fla. Jan. 05, 2012).
- Osorio v. State Farm Bank, F.S.B., ---- F.R.D. ----, 2011 WL 6937385 (S.D. Fla., Dec. 21, 2011).
- In re Steffen, ---- B.R. ----, 2012 WL 11255 (Bkrtcy. M.D. Fla. 2012).
- Arnold v. McFall, ---- F. Supp.2d ----, 2011 WL 6980847 (S.D. Fla., Dec. 14, 2011).
- In re Checking Account Overdraft Litigation, NO. 09-MD-02036-JLK, MDL 2036, 1:11-CV-22844-JLK) (S.D. Fla. Nov. 01 2011).
- Iberiabank v. Coconut 41 LLC, 2011 WL 4807701 (M.D. Fla. Oct. 11, 2011).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Does, 2011 WL 4711458 (S.D. Fla. Oct. 4, 2011).
- American Home Assur. Co. v. Weaver Aggregate Transport, Inc., 2011 WL 4346576 (M.D. Fla. Sept. 16. 2011).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Belcher, 2011 WL 3841016 (S.D. Fla. August 16, 2011).
- T-Mobile USA, Inc. v. Begum, 2011 WL 4090930 (E.D.N.Y. August 17, 2011).
- Marley v. Jetshares Only, LLC, 2011 WL 2607095 (S.D. Fla. June 30, 2011).
- In re Application of Alves Braga, 789 F. Supp.2d 1294 (S.D. Fla. 2011).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Bequator Corp., Ltd., 2011 WL 1427635 (S.D. Fla. April 13, 2011).
- Spitznagel v. R & D Italia, LLC, 2011 WL 1615511 (M.D. Fla. April 12, 2011).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Sunstrike Intern., Ltd., 273 F.R.D. 697 (S.D. Fla. 2011).
- American Home Assur. Co. v. Weaver Aggregate Transport, Inc., 773 F. Supp.2d 1317 (M.D. Fla. 2011).
- Marley v. Jetshares Only, LLC, 767 F. Supp.2d 1337 (S.D. Fla. 2011).
- Kilinc v. TracFone Wireless Inc., 757 F. Supp.2d 535 (W.D. Pa. 2010).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Distelec Distribuciones Electronicas, S.A. de DV, 268 F.R.D. 687 (S.D. Fla. 2010).
- Ymax Corp. v. VXI Corp., 2010 WL 2670878 (S.D. Fla. July 2, 2010).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Bequator Corp., Ltd., 717 F. Supp.2d 1307 (S.D. Fla. 2010).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Zip Wireless Products, Inc., 716 F. Supp.2d 1275 (N.D. Ga. 2010).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. SND Cellular, Inc., 715 F. Supp.2d 1246 (S.D. Fla. 2010).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Anadisk LLC, 685 F. Supp.2d 1304 (S.D. Fla. 2010).
- Richard Boyd Enterprises, Inc. v. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 2010 WL 473232 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 10, 2010).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Tropical Export, Inc., 2009 WL 3055386 (S.D. Fla. Sept. 25, 2009).
- TracFone Wireless, Inc. v. Access Telecom, Inc., 642 F. Supp.2d 1354 (S.D. Fla. 2009).
- In re Netsmart Technologies, Inc. Shareholders Litigation, 924 A.2d 171 (Del. Ch. 2007).