We assist with the planning, development and execution of all manner of local, regional and national development projects. In that regard we have represented developers, owners, designers, contractors, and subcontractors in the drafting, negotiation, modification and administration of all the various types of contracts and forms associated with such projects, especially large-scale, complex public and private development projects.
Our extensive project transactional experience includes the preparation, negotiation, award/closing, and administration of development agreements, construction contracts, design agreements, design-build contracts, engineer/procure/construct (EPC) contracts, construction management agreements (both at-risk and not-at-risk), integrated project delivery (IPD) agreements, Public Private Partnerships (PPP’s), design-build-maintain agreements, design-build-maintain-operate agreements, purchase and sale contracts, consulting services agreements, option agreements, easements, leases, licenses, rental agreements (real and personal property), operating agreements, project financing facilities, requests for proposals, instructions to bidders, invitations to bid and all of the various ancillary contract administration and project management forms such as change orders, waivers and releases of lien, payment affidavits, payment applications, claims of lien, insurance certificates, and performance and payment bonds.
We have worked on major projects all across the country, including stadiums, arenas, ballparks, entertainment venues, museums, race tracks, convention centers, airports, hospitals, education facilities (primary, secondary, university and research), hotels, destination resorts, casinos, office buildings, retail centers and malls, mixed use (residential, retail and commercial), heavy construction (roads, bridges, and water and waste water utility infrastructure), industrial warehousing, manufacturing facilities, pipelines, petrochemical terminals, mining operations, communication systems, processing plants, mills, refineries, power plants and transmission lines, and railroads. Attached is a partial list of representative projects in which we have been involved.
We have extensive experience with all of the standard construction industry contract forms published by such groups as the American Institutes of Architects (AIA), the Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC), ConsensusDOCS, and the Design Build Institute of America (DBIA). In some cases we have been on the committee preparing those forms and in others we have been in a position to provide input and advice to that committee. Additionally, we have extensive experience developing manuscript form design and construction contracts that fit the special needs of our clients, including standard form documents to be utilized on multiple projects.
We add the most value to our clients when we are brought on in the early stages of the project. We can help the client select the most appropriate project delivery method that will best match up with the client’s level of expertise and resources, thereby greatly enhancing the client’s ability to achieve all of its project goals. With the appropriate contract structure in place, we can assist the client in administering those contracts so as to help it avoid or at least minimize disputes and problems on the project. Effective contract administration (including early dispute management and resolution) during construction, will result in lower total administration and dispute resolution costs for the client. Money spent on legal advice at the front end of a project to avoid or resolve disputes pales in comparison to the amount of money typically spent on legal services for dispute resolution at the back end of a project.
List of Representative Projects
- CitiField (New York Mets MLB Ballpark)
- Miami Art Museum
- Heinz Field (Pittsburgh Steelers NFL Stadium)
- Orlando Magic NBA Arena
- Florida Aquarium
- San Antonio Military Medical Center
- CityScape (Phoenix Mixed Use Project)
- Ritz Carlton/JW Marriott Dessert Ridge and Grande Lake Resorts
- Florida Marlins Ballpark
- Twin Arrows Casino Project
- Panama City/Bay County International Airport
- Guardian Centers (Training Facility in Georgia for First Responders to Natural Disasters and Terrorist Attacks)
- Novelis (New York Aluminum Sheet Production Plant)
- CF Industries (Florida Pipeline Construction and Expansion)
- Crystal River Nuclear Plant Renovations
- Publix Super Markets (New Orlando Frozen Food Distribution Center)
- Provide Commerce (Refrigerated Cooling Systems within Distribution Warehouses in Miami, FL and Memphis, TN)
- John Bean Technologies (Renovation to Existing Manufacturing and Distribution Facilities and New Scientific Research and Technology Center in Lakeland, FL)
- Orange County Public School Facilities Capital Construction and Renovation Program
- Daytona International Speedway (Design and Renovations to the Frontstretch Grandstands)
- Collier County Standard Form Water Utility Construction Contracts
- Tri-County Commuter Rail (Double Track Corridor Improvement Program)
- American Samoa (Undersea Fiber Optic Recovery and Redeployment Project)