Gwynne A. Young
Gwynne Young is the current president of The Florida Bar. Her practice focuses on complex state and federal litigation. She has handled a wide variety of commercial and business disputes, real property litigation including title insurance, and real estate matters as well as probate and trust litigation.
Ms. Young has represented title insurance companies in coverage determinations, coverage disputes and litigation, and insured owners and lenders in title defect and priority disputes.
She has defended insurers in first and third party insurance coverage disputes including property insurance, directors and officers liability insurance, environmental and pollution insurance, professional liability insurance, marine insurance and advice on related bad faith claims.
Ms. Young has probate and trust litigation experience including will contests and defense of fiduciaries and beneficiaries, will and trust construction, trust modification, revocation, and termination, and surcharge and removal litigation.
- Office Depot, Inc. v. National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA, 734 F. Supp. 2d 1304 (S.D. Fla. 2010), aff’d 2011 WL 4840951 (11th Cir. Oct. 13, 2011). Summary judgment in favor of insurer on insured’s claims of over $24 million in investigation costs.
- Carey v. Rocke, 18 So.3d 1266 (Fla. 2d DCA 2009). Following non-jury trial, obtained affirmance of determination of undue influence by lawyers upon testator and reversal/remand to determine how estate would pass.
- Sugarloaf Lodge Tavern, Inc., et al. v. Commerce and Indus. Ins. Co., No. 08-10087, 2009 WL 1393423 (S.D. Fla. May 18, 2009). Obtained dismissal of bad faith claim in insurance coverage action and enforcement of choice-of-law clause in policy.
- Republic Services, Inc. v. Am. Int’l Specialty Lines Ins. Co., No. 07-21991, 2008 WL 4691836 (S.D. Fla. Oct. 21, 2008). Insurance coverage pollution liability policy.
- The Medical Store, Inc., v. AIG Claims Services, Inc., Health Direct, Inc., and Direct DME Inc., 2004 WL 5486641 (S.D. Fla.). Suit seeking compensatory and exculpatory damages for breach of Florida’s Trade Secret Act and a confidentiality agreement, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty. Defense verdict.
- “The Art of Jury Instructions,” Mentoring with the Masters Online Program, The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division (2011). (link to video)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers (2011-2013)
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Trend’s Florida Legal Elite (2005-2007, 2009-2013)
- Florida Trend Legal Elite Hall of Fame (2010-2013)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2009-2013)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Outstanding Lawyer Award (2013)
- Florida Blue Key
- Herbert Goldburg Award, Trial Lawyers Section of the Hillsborough County Bar (2009)
- The Florida Bar President's Pro Bono Award - Service Award for Thirteenth Circuit (2003)
- Jimmy Kynes Pro Bono Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service - Hillsborough County Bar (1999)
- Charles A. Dukes Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service to Duke University (1995)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- The Florida Bar
Board of Governors 13th Circuit, Seat 3 (2003-2011)
Chair, Program Evaluation Committee (2006-2007) (2009-2010),
Strategic Planning Committee
Chair, Budget Committee
Board Liaison to Business Law Section
Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
Co Chair, Pro Bono Committee
Former Co-Vice Chair Liaison with Fiduciaries Committee
Probate Litigation Committee
Real Property Litigation Committee
Business Law Section
Executive Council 2008-2011 as Board Liaison
Judicial Independence Committee
- American Bar Association
Member, House of Delegates (2011-2013)
Section of Litigation
Section of Real Property Probate and Trust Law
Former Member, Steering Committee on the Unmet Legal Needs of Children
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
Director (1981-1984) (1996-2003)
- Hillsborough County Bar Foundation
Member, Capital Campaign Committee
- Cheatwood Inn of Court
- Federal Judicial Nominating Committee
Middle District of Florida (2010-2013)
- Former Chairman, Second Appellate District Nominating Commission
- Twice served as a member of the Magistrate Judge Selection Committee
for the Middle District of Florida
- Federal Bar Association
- Duke University
Member, Athletics Advisory Board (2004-2011)
Co-Chair, Women's Athletic Scholarship Campaign Committee (2004-2006)
Member, Athletic Council (2001-2004)
Trustee, Duke University (1999-2001)
President, Duke University General Alumni Association (1999-2000)
Director and Executive Committee, Duke University
General Alumni Association (1992-2002)
Former Director, Duke Club of Tampa Bay
Former Chairman, Alumni Admissions Advisory Committee
for Hillsborough County
- University of Florida
- Trustee, University of Florida Law Center Association, Inc. (2002-2007)
Emeritus Trustee (2008-present)
Member, Law Center Capitol Campaign Committee
- Former Trustee, Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center
- Former Trustee, Tampa Preparatory School
- Former President, The Junior League of Tampa, Inc. (1985-1986)
- Former Director, Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. (1987-1989)
- The University of Tampa
Past Member Board of Fellows
Former Chairman of the Board of Counselors
- Founder, Child Abuse Council, Inc.
- Former Director, Tampa Metropolitan YMCA
- University of Florida College of Law
- 13th Judicial Circuit, Florida
Assistant State Attorney