Matthew R. Cogburn
Matt Cogburn represents a diverse base of clients in complex commercial disputes, with a special focus on litigation within the construction industry. Mr. Cogburn has extensive experience representing all players in the construction process, including public and private owners, contractors, design professionals, subcontractors, insurers, sureties, and construction material suppliers. He also has experience in claim avoidance, both through drafting and negotiating construction contract documents or through early evaluation and use of pre-litigation, alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Mr. Cogburn has given lectures and published articles on legal issues affecting the construction industry including allocation of risk through use of AIA construction documents, construction payment remedies, insurance coverage for construction defect claims, condominium construction litigation, indoor air quality claims and ethical obligations when simultaneously representing a surety and its principal.
Mr. Cogburn has been board certified in Construction Law by The Florida Bar since 2007 and he has been recognized in publications including Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite and Florida Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in 2011.
- Lecturer, “Construction Manager Forms,” and “A401 Subcontract,” Lorman Education Seminars: AIA Contracts, Tampa, FL (May 13, 2009).
- Moderator and Lecturer, “Construction Manager Forms,” and “A401 Subcontract” Lorman Education Seminars: AIA Contracts, Kissimmee, FL (May 2008).
- Mr. Cogburn has presented on topics such as construction payment remedies, insurance coverage for mold claims and resulting litigation, as well as claims relating to defective plans and specifications for continuing education programs with Lorman, the National Business Institute, and the Association of General Contractors.
- Additionally, he has spoken on behalf of ASPE in regard to legal strategies for both prevention and prosecution of mold infestation claims.
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Construction Law
- Listed in Florida Trend’s Florida Legal Elite (2010)
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2011-2013)