Intellectual Property, Antitrust and Trade Regulation:
- Negotiating and drafting agreements on behalf of record companies with recording artists and obtaining court approval when the artists are minors.
- The defense of suits by and against recording artists or their agents claiming denial of royalties.
- The defense and prosecution of claims of copyright infringement in the motion picture and music industries.
- The defense and prosecution of claims of violations of covenants not to compete, non-solicitation and non-disparagement.
- The defense of price fixing and illegal tie claims in the motion picture distribution industry.
- The defense and prosecution of patent infringement claims.
- The representation of a special litigation committee of the board of directors of a public corporation in a heavily-regulated industry.
- The defense and prosecution of shareholder and limited partner derivative suits.
- The defense of corporate officers and directors in connection with claims of corporate waste and the wrongful taking of corporate opportunities.
- The defense and prosecution of actions brought by officers claiming denial of equity and “success fees” and the wrongful termination of employment.
Corporate Acquisitions and Divestitures:
- The defense and prosecution of actions brought by purchasers and sellers in both stock and asset transactions claiming misrepresentations as to the value of the assets purchased, denial of earn-outs, demand for return of earnest money and cash contributions for corporate acquisitions.
- Represent large timeshare company in putative class action removed to federal court under the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005; defeated remand to state court and obtained dismissal of FDUTPA and related claims. Perret v. Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc., et al., ---- F. Supp. 2d ----, No. 11–CV–61904, 2012 WL 718794 (S.D. Fla. Mar. 5, 2012) Read PDF; Perret v. Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc., et al., ---- F. Supp. 2d ----, No. 11–CV–61904, 2012 WL 592171 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 22, 2012) Read PDF.
- The defense of a variety of business claims including hostile takeovers, RICO, fraud, securities violations and violations of consumer protection statutes.
Real Estate Litigation:
- Commercial real estate disputes involving shopping center leases, common area maintenance provisions, operating covenants, exclusive use provisions in commercial leases, brokerage commissions, and coordination of rights and obligations arising out of parallel leases and sub-leases.
- Creative Builders Corp. and By the Sea, LLC v. Larry F. Witte, Case No. 4D08-4205, ―So. 3d―, 2010 WL 1979162 (Fla. 4th DCA May 19, 2010). Represented Larry Witte, the personal representative of the Estate of Pamela Viny, in an appeal of a final judgment in his favor. The Fourth District Court of Appeal affirmed the judgment awarding Witte an equitable lien and constructive trust on real property and ordering foreclosure if the lien was not satisfied by a date certain.
- Republic Federal Bank, N.A. v. Joseph M. Doyle and Blanca Alicia Doyle, 19 So. 3d 1053 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2009). In a foreclosure action, represented the lender in the appeal of an order by the trial court arbitrarily postponing a foreclosure sale. The Third Circuit of Appeal reversed the trial court’s order as an abuse of discretion and being in contravention of Fla. Stat. § 45.031(1)(a).