Charles W. Throckmorton
Charles Throckmorton is a trial lawyer who specializes in both plaintiff and defense side commercial litigation. Mr. Throckmorton has state and federal jury trial experience, including as lead trial counsel. In addition to his courtroom work, he has experience negotiating complex settlements and finding practical and cost-effective solutions for his clients. Mr. Throckmorton represents clients in the consumer finance, banking, real estate, shipping, aviation, telecommunications, and pharmaceutical industries.
Prior to joining Carlton Fields, Mr. Throckmorton worked at the Peace Palace in The Hague, Netherlands, monitoring the International Criminal Court for the International Bar Association. A Miami native, he lives with his wife Stephanie in South Miami and stays involved in the local community through work with the United Way and other organizations.
- Served as lead trial counsel on behalf of national bank and obtained judgment in contested multi-day trial.
- Defended aviation company in parallel breach of contract suits in the United States and Canada.
- Defended national bank in federal class action seeking to quiet title to thousands of properties and void valid and enforceable notes and mortgages; obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims (Diaz v. Deutsche Bank National Trust Co., et al, 2014 WL 4351411 (S.D. Fla. Sept. 2, 2014)).
- Represented title company in breach of contract, unjust enrichment, and negligent misrepresentation case against commercial seller concerning closing funds. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Member of trial team that defended software company and executive in two-week trade secret and unfair competition trial resulting in a zero verdict and complete vindication of clients.
- Defended software program manager in four-week federal jury trial involving trade secrets and defamation claims.
- Panelist, "From Law Student to Young Lawyer," Southern District of Florida’s Federal Court Observer Program (June 2015)
- Carlton Fields, Miami
Summer Associate, (May-July 2011)
- The Honorable Richard J. Suarez, Florida Third District Court of Appeal
Summer Intern, (May-July 2010)
- International Bar Association, The Hague, Netherlands
Research Assistant, (December 2008-May 2009)
Intern, (August-November 2008)