Mr. Leonard's litigation and arbitration experience includes:
- Complex commercial contract and commercial tort disputes among financial institutions, insurance companies, manufacturers, and other businesses.
- Investigation, analysis, and defense of claims against insurers and financial institutions alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary obligations, negligence, breach of trust, and bad faith.
- Representation of insurers in connection with claims against corporate directors and officers arising out of securities law violations, allegations of mismanagement and corporate waste, contract disputes, employment disputes, discrimination claims, ERISA violations, and fraud.
- Defense of class action claims against insurers, financial institutions, and consumer service and product providers.
- Intellectual property disputes, including claims involving trade secrets and patent infringement.
- Contract and warranty disputes among manufacturers, suppliers, vendors, and customers; complex technology, engineering, and construction defect disputes; industrial plant equipment and boiler and machinery failures, fires, and other complex disputes requiring engineering-related analysis and development.
- Professional errors and omissions suits against architects and engineers, insurance agents and brokers, and other professionals.
- Representation of reinsurers in treaty and facultative reinsurance disputes and arbitration.
Representative Case Histories:
- Representation of leading D&O insurers in connection with numerous class action and derivative claims against officers and directors of U.S. public companies typically seeking damages in excess of $100 million.
- Representation of insurers of major U.S. financial institutions in connection with claims for breach of fiduciary obligations and allegations of bank errors and omissions.
- Representation of a joint venture between a major oil company and a foreign chemical company in circuit court in Alabama, seeking recovery against multiple raw material suppliers for damages sustained to the clients’ manufacturing facility following the introduction of contaminated feed stock.
- Representation of a D&O insurer in direct coverage litigation in Mississippi, resulting in judgment in favor of the insurer, affirmed on appeal after argument before the Mississippi Supreme Court.
- Representation of an insurance broker against claims of negligence in connection with the placement and renewal of insurance, obtaining a verdict in favor of the defendant broker following a jury trial in state court in Georgia.
- Representation of a U.S. property insurer at trial in federal court in Louisiana, resulting in a favorable decision.
- Representation of consumer credit insurers in several putative class actions alleging statutory disclosure violations and other damage claims. The claims were resolved.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order in federal court in Kentucky prohibiting a multi-state mining corporation from continuing an accounting process with a major utility that would have prejudiced the client’s rights under an existing contract.
- Representation of London reinsurers in connection with claims by a ceding company seeking reimbursement of extracontractual damages resulting from conduct of the ceding company.
- Representation of a builder’s risk insurer in a complex coverage dispute involving damages to industrial equipment sustained following the installation of new equipment. The arbitrator found in favor of the builder’s risk insurer, concluding that sufficient testing and preliminary operation had taken place to transfer the risk to the property insurer, not the builder’s risk insurer.
- Representation of financial institution insurers in connection with claims under fidelity and financial institution bonds, including conducting investigations of underlying factual information, circumstances surrounding alleged losses, coverage analysis, and related litigation.
- In addition, Mr. Leonard is experienced as a neutral and as an advocate representing clients in all forms of alternative dispute resolution. A member of the AAA Panel of Arbitrators since 1995, he has served as an arbitrator in various commercial and technical disputes under the auspices of the AAA and the ICDR. Mr. Leonard also has served as a mediator in commercial, insurance, and professional disputes.