1L LCLD Scholar and Wm. Reece Smith Jr. Diversity Scholarship
Carlton Fields sponsors the 1L LCLD Scholar and Wm. Reece Smith Jr. Diversity Scholarship, named in honor of William Reece Smith, Jr., the firm’s late chair emeritus and a champion of diversity. Each year, through the scholarships, two qualifying first-year law students receive paid positions in our summer associate program and $5,000.
Eligible applicants will have:
- diverse backgrounds, including ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, culture, or disabilities;
- good standing as first-year law students at ABA-accredited law schools;
- academic and other achievements that demonstrate great promise for a successful legal career;
- aspirations to practice law in a highly-focused but collegial setting; and,
- demonstrated leadership abilities, and excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
Eligible applicants must submit the following:
- online application;
- resume; and,
- personal statement describing background and interests the applicant would bring to our summer associate program and why applicant believes he/she is a strong scholarship candidate.
Official transcripts and references may be requested at a later date.
The deadline to submit application materials is January 6, 2017. Interested applicants may apply via the link below. You are not considered an applicant unless you apply online using this site.
View Current Opportunities
Chief Diversity Officer, Nancy Faggianelli, with our 2016 Diversity Scholarship recipients, Eman Lemu (George Washington University) and Raina Shipman (University of Florida).
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
The firm is a member of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), an organization of more than 250 corporate chief legal officers and law firm managing partners dedicated to creating a truly diverse U.S. legal profession.
Each year, the firm sends its diverse first-year summer associates, including the Wm. Reece Smith, Jr. Diversity Scholarship recipients, to the 1L LCLD Scholars Program and the related 1L LCLD Scholars Summit. These initiatives are designed to strengthen the legal pipeline of diverse talent by expanding the number of opportunities for diverse first-year law students. Students have the opportunity to work side-by-side with attorneys from LCLD member organizations and build their professional relationships and networks.