Meredith Whigham Caiafa
Meredith Whigham Caiafa is an associate in the firm’s Financial Services and Insurance Litigation practice group. She has experience representing commercial insurers in first party property, commercial general liability, and surplus lines coverage matters, as well as subrogation. Her practice has also focused on representing and counseling clients with regard to employment law, executive compensation, and restrictive covenants, including negotiating and drafting employment and separation agreements. She is experienced in all aspects of dispute resolution, including business litigation in trial and appellate courts.
Ms. Caiafa served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Emilio M. Garza on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit as well as to the Honorable Orinda D. Evans on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
- Represented pharmaceutical company client in administrative claims for benefits under ERISA plan, including analyzing claims and plan terms, ensuring compliance with applicable law regarding fiduciary obligations, presenting claim evaluations to benefits committees and in-house counsel, responding to requests for documents, and drafting responses to claims and appeals on behalf of the plan administrator.
- Counseled client regarding potential class-action lawsuits under ERISA, including researching and analyzing law regarding fiduciary obligations, drafting plan provisions to address overpayment issues, and evaluating issues related to recovering overpayments from participants.
- Litigated in trial and appellate courts on behalf of insurer clients in disputes involving commercial insurance liability defense, property insurance defense, subrogation, healthcare preferred-provider networks, and surplus lines insurance.
- Drafted motion for summary judgment resulting in dismissal of $25 million property insurance claim; judge in the Northern District of Georgia issued insurer-favorable order upholding exclusion for flood coverage under “all risks” policy.
- Drafted appellate brief resulting in Eleventh Circuit upholding dismissal of $15 million claim for violation of Florida consumer protection statutes through lender-placed insurance policies.
- Conducted mediation as first-chair attorney resulting in dismissal of $5 million property insurance claim, due to plaintiff’s lack of standing as third-party beneficiary.
- Atlanta Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Atlanta Ballet, Education Committee Member
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP (Atlanta, GA)
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP (Atlanta, GA)
- Hon. Orinda Evans, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
Judicial Clerk (2009-2010)
- Hon. Emilio M. Garza, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Judicial Clerk (2008-2009)