Class Actions and MDL Representation:
- Defense of consumer class action filed against an Internet services company for violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act that settled after decertification.
- Defense of shareholder fraud class action in the insurance industry that settled after denial of class certification.
- Defense of a class action against a financial institution involving claims of breach of duty and aiding and abetting that was dismissed with prejudice and upheld on appeal.
- Defense of shareholder derivative class action regarding transactions between related insurance companies that settled after denial of class certification.
- Appointment as Liaison Counsel for insurance agents across the country in Multi-District Litigation regarding sales practices of a major insurance company.
Representation of Financial Institutions:
- Defense of financial institution in tax strategy litigation involving claims of fraud and breach of contract against financial institutions, accounting professionals, and attorneys.
- Prosecution of professional liability claim against international accounting firm based on representations made to national bank to fund a billion dollar acquisition.
- Defense of a national bank against claims of conspiracy, aiding and abetting, negligence, and breach of duties brought by the Receiver of a depositor who had operated a massive Ponzi scheme.
- Defense of NASD arbitrations involving allegations of fraud, unsuitability, and other breaches by securities brokers.
- Defense of broker/dealers of claims by elderly person alleging improper management of investments.
Representation of Insurance Companies:
- Defense of coverage actions involving various types of policies, including life insurance, property and casualty, and environmental coverage claims.
- Defense of over 100 lawsuits alleging broker fraud and misconduct in a national MDL.
- Defense of multiple lawsuits alleging bad faith and intentional tortuous conduct in the handling of workers’ compensation claims.
- Defense of bad faith and breach of duty claims brought by shareholders.
- Defense of claims by elderly plaintiffs alleging that insurance agents misrepresented the benefits of using equity in existing policies to purchase additional policies.
Intellectual Property Matters:
- Landmark prosecution of claims against the State of Florida for the unconstitutional taking of property rights to a patented method to clean waterways.
- Prosecution of litigation to enforce intellectual property rights transferred in the acquisition of a manufacturer of insulation products.
- Prosecution of litigation to enforce intellectual property rights and non-competition provision in acquisition agreements for international swimming pool products company.
- Co-counsel and local counsel with national and international law firms in numerous patent infringement cases.
Trials and Appellate Representation:
- Jury trial in state court of claims that insurer committed intentional torts in handling plaintiff’s workers’ compensation claim, resulting in settlement before the conclusion of Defendant’s case.
- Jury trial in federal court of an employment discrimination claim based on alleged sexual harassment, resulting in a directed verdict.
- Jury trial in federal court in products liability action involving water pipes used in rural communities throughout the Midwest, concluding in settlement before verdict.
- Bench trial in state court involving claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, resulting in a defense verdict.
- Bench trial in state court involving claims of breach of contract and civil theft in connection with the acquisition of controlling shares of privately held corporation, resulting in a defense verdict.
- Jury trial in federal court involving claims of defamation and age discrimination brought by former president of corporation who was, in fact, terminated for paying illegal kickbacks, resulting in a defense verdict.
- Jury trials in state court involving smoking and health claims against a major tobacco company, resulting in one defense verdict and one plaintiff’s verdict.
- Bench trial in state court to enjoin foreclosure on a nationally-franchised hotel resulting in an order enjoining foreclosure.
- Bench trial in state court defending breach of contract claims concerning construction of the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center.
- Bench trials before Administrative Law judges regarding establishment of new automobile dealerships in Florida.
- Bench trials in state court to terminate parental rights.
- Appeals and oral arguments before the Florida Supreme Court, the Second District Court of Appeal, and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- O’Halloran v. First Union Nat. Bank of Fla., 2009 WL 962676 (11th Cir. 2009).
- Shaunnessey v. Monteris Medical, Inc., 554 F. Supp. 2d 1321 (M.D. Fla. 2008).
- Chacoa v. Mahon, 970 So. 2d 909 (Fla. 1st DCA 2007).
- Polaris Pool Systems, Inc. v. Great American Waterfall Co., 2006 WL 289118 (M.D. Fla. 2006).
- Crum Staffing, Inc. v. National Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, PA., 2006 WL 3289265 (M.D. Fla. 2006).
- Fugate v. Reliastar Life Ins. Co., 205 WL 1225006 (M.D. Fla. 2005).
- Innova/Pure Water, Inc. v. Safari Water Filtration Systems, 289 F. Supp. 2d 1347 (M.D. Fla. 2003).
- Thomas v. AIG Marketing, Inc., 2003 WL 25781418 (M.D. Fla. 2003).
- Jacobs v. Nintendo of America, Inc., 2003 WL 25738602 (M.D. Fla. 2003).
- O’Halloran v. First Union Nat. Bank of FL., 205 F. Supp. 2d 1296 (M.D. Fla. 2002).
- Harper v. United Healthcare of Fla., Inc., 793 So. 2d 945 (Fla. 2d DCA 2001).
- Miles v. America Online, Inc., 202 F.R.D. 297 (M.D. Fla. 2001).
- In re Insurance Management Solutions Group, 2001 WL 34106903 (M.D. Fla. 2001).
- Ahern v. George H. Dikman Ins. Agency, 748 So. 2d 267 (Fla. 2d DCA 1999).
- In re W.Y., 723 So. 2d 361 (Fla. 2d DCA 1998).
- Kinney v. University Community Hosp., 718 So. 2d 183 (Fla. 2d DCA 1998).
- Anthony Distrib. Co. v. Climo, 675 So. 2d 934 (Fla. 2d DCA 1996).
- In re Prudential Ins. Co. of Am. Sales Practices Litig., 975 F. Supp. 584 (D.N.J. 1996).
- Unkel v. Liggett Group, 175 F.R.D. 474 (M.D. Fla. 1997).
- Hollingsworth v. Iwerks Entertainment, Inc., 947 F. Supp. 473 (M.D. Fla. 1996).
- Stone v. Stone, 657 So. 2d 1256 (Fla. 2d DCA 1995).
- Curry v. Galencare, Inc., 641 So. 2d 75 (Fla. 2d DCA 1994).
- Jacobs Wind Electric Company, Inc. v. Dept. of Transportation, 626 So. 2d 1333 (Fla. 1993).
- Martin v. Carroll Graphics Corp., 804 F. Supp. 311 (M.D. Fla. 1992).