Amy Lane Hurwitz
Amy Hurwitz is an experienced litigator whose practice focuses on the defense of mass tort, commercial and consumer class action claims in state and federal courts. She has wide-ranging experience in all aspects of litigation, from its inception through trial. Her prior work experience in the health care industry gives her a particularly useful perspective in matters involving complex medical and scientific issues. Ms. Hurwitz has extensive experience representing clients in the tobacco, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, and medical device industries.
Ms. Hurwitz' experience includes conducting all aspects of the coordination and management of the defense of major corporations against both individual and class action lawsuits. She is involved in all phases of litigation, from the initial stages of fact investigation and strategy development through trial. In addition to serving various roles at the pre-trial level including strategy and defensive theme development, fact investigation, expert witness development and legal drafting, Ms. Hurwitz has notable trial experience and has been an integral part of many trial teams.
Ms. Hurwitz also maintains an active role in pro bono work, including advocating as a guardian ad litem and participating in local legal aid clinics.
Ms. Hurwitz is active in the ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section’s Trial Techniques Committee, where she serves as committee chair.
- 2015 – Estrada v. King Multiservices, et al., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Defense verdict on behalf of company and its owners in labor dispute alleging unfair wage practices under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- 2014 – Antonio CuCulino v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, et. al, Miami-Dade County, Florida. 68 year old former smoker claiming compensatory and punitive damage for coronary artery disease caused by his addiction to cigarettes.
- 2011 – Patricia Bowman v. R.J Reynolds Tobacco Company, Duval County, Florida. Death of a 59-year old smoker claiming compensatory and punitive damages for cancer and addiction arising from the use of cigarettes containing nicotine.
- 2011 - Stella Koballa v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company (Koballa II), Volusia County, Florida. Seventy-seven year old former smoker claiming compensatory and punitive damages for lung cancer and COPD caused by her addiction to cigarettes containing nicotine.
- 2010 - Stella Koballa v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company (Koballa I), Volusia County, Florida. Seventy-seven year old former smoker claiming compensatory and punitive damages for lung cancer and COPD caused by her addiction to cigarettes containing nicotine.
- 2010 - Buonomo v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., Broward County, Florida. Death of 80-year-old smoker claiming compensatory and punitive damages for cancer, addiction, and fraud.
- 2007 - Menchini v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, et. al., Miami-Dade County, Florida. Death of a 47-year-old former flight attendant whose estate claimed damage from exposure to environmental tobacco smoke while working in aircraft cabins. Defense verdict.
- 2007 - Jeld-Wen, Inc. v. Nebula Glass International, Inc. et. all. v. Reichhold, Inc., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Represented third party defendant in claims involving resin used in hurricane glass in homes and buildings.
- 2007 - Wesco Distribution, Inc. v. American Bridge Co., et al. v. Electric Maintenance & Construction, Inc., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Represented defendant / counter-plaintiff in claims involving installation of electrical maintenance gear.
Food, Beverage & Supplements
- Represented food manufacturer in a putative class action asserting violations of Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA) relating to the marketing of yogurt products.
- Represented beverage manufacturer in a putative class action/multi-district litigation asserting violations of Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA) relating to the contents and marketing of the manufacturer’s margarita mix.
- Represented supplement manufacturer in a putative class action asserting violations of Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA) relating to the marketing of energy products.
Pharmaceutical & Medical Device
- Represented drug and medical device manufacturers in multi-state and nationwide prescription drug personal injury litigation as well as over-the-counter products, including actions consolidated before multi-district litigation panels.
- Defended a prescription drug manufacturer in a personal injury claim arising out of the use of a cancer therapy drug.
- Defended chemical manufacturer in case involving claims for personal injury due to exposure to client's pesticide.
- Represented the largest automobile insurance carrier in Florida in defense of various class action lawsuits filed by providers of MRI services.
- Represented an airplane engine manufacturer in defense of a product liability class action alleging the engine was defective.
- Represented resin manufacturer in action involving defect claims for over 30,000 units of hurricane impact glass.
- Represented automobile manufacturer in contract dispute relating to dealership liquidation.
- Represented pool pump manufacturer in contract dispute with manufacturer of pump heat exchangers.
- Represented large hotel chain against claims for personal injuries involving hotel patron's fall on hotel property.
- Represented luxury shopping mall in action for negligent security involving abduction of store employee from mall parking lot.
- Represented shopping mall in case involving attack in mall parking lot.
- In Re: Holocaust Victims Assets Litigation. Thomas Weiss, David Mermelstein, et al. v. Union Bank of Switzerland, et.al., United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Docket No. 00-9593, 00-0613, 00-9614. Assisted with representation of objector to U.S. Holocaust survivors’ class action settlement of claims against a Swiss bank in alleging that settlement was not fair to U.S. survivors.
- Ganiko v. Ganiko, 826 So. 2d 391 (Fla. 1st DCA 2002). Represented, up through a successful appeal, the defendant in a case alleging personal jurisdiction under Florida's Long-Arm statute.
- Ms. Hurwitz continues to be involved with pro bono matters through the Florida Justice Institute as well as through Florida's Guardian Ad Litem program.
- “Focus on State Consumer Fraud Hotbeds: How Consumer Friendly Laws are Facilitating the Growth of Food Labeling & Advertising Claims,” Pre-Conference Workshop for the American Conference Institute’s Food & Beverage Consumer Fraud Litigation Conference, Chicago (November 2012)
- “Getting It In: Expert Testimony,” ABA YLD 2012 Fall Conference, Charleston, SC (September 2012)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Commonwealth Institute (women's leadership organization)
South Florida Board of Advisors (2018-present)
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section BR>Trial Techniques Committee
Newsletter Editor (2012-2013)
Program Vice-Chair (2011-2012)
- The Florida Bar
- Office Hiring Chair & Summer Associate Program Coordinator, Carlton Fields (Miami)